Re: 'Help' (fwd)

From: Bert VandenBerg (bert@hymarc.com)
Date: Mon Apr 27 1998 - 18:12:29 EEST

One useful route is:
(hyscan) scanner -> polygonization -> facet-capable CAM system

We can demonstrate this for you. Among the companies offering facet
capable cam systems are:
- delcam,
- Tebis,
- Cimitron, and
- MatraDatavision

The nice thing about this route is that it requires relatively little
CAD-design interaction, and should have a short lead time (a day to
2 weeks at a guess). I am assuming that you would be satisfied with
3 axis milling.

        bert
-----------------
> From: john durden <durden@atl.mindspring.com>
>
> We have been asked by one of our customers to
> build a plastics injection mold. That's our business, so
> normally this wouldn't present a problem. The catch,
> here, is that the only data available is a hand-carved,
> full-scale model of the part. The object is of a sculptured,
> multi-faceted, free-form geometry that does not lend
> itself to modeling in a cad package such as Pro/E.
>
> Casting directly from the model might be an option, however,
> the cavity blocks would be approximately 11" x 7" x 2", so
> we have ruled out Kel-Tool.
>
> The best option for us would be to have the model scanned
> into some sort of a surface model that we could output to our
> machining center.
>
> Can someone on this list tell me the best way to approach
> this; or, better yet, scan the object into a useable surface
> model (for a fee, of course).
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> John Durden
> Durden Plastics
> durden@mindspring.com
> Phone:770-963-0637
> Fax: 770-995-7067
>
> For more information about the rp-ml see: http://ltk.hut.fi/rp-ml/

Bert van den Berg                   E-mail: bert@hymarc.com
Hymarc Ltd.                           http://www.hymarc.com
35 Antares Drive                        Tel: (613) 727-1584
Ottawa, Ontario  K2E 8B1                Fax: (613) 727-0441