Number of organizations using RP

From: Terry Wohlers (twohlers@compuserve.com)
Date: Thu May 07 1998 - 02:59:26 EEST

Thanks to all of you that sent private e-mail messages to me with their
educated guesses. The original question was: Anyone care to guess how many
organizations use RP regularly in the US? Worldwide? The key word here is
"regularly." The following numbers were sent to me:

3,500
50,000
100 (in India only)
Tens of thousands
5,000 (US), 8,500 (worldwide)
1,200 to 1,500
2,500 (US), 3,500 (worldwide)

It's a little difficult to draw a conclusion from these numbers, other than
to say that we really don't have a clue. No offense to those of you that
sent numbers, but it's true. It's only fair that I also take a shot at it,
so here goes. I estimate that about 3,000 organizations use RP "regularly"
in the US, and twice that many use it worldwide.

Terry Wohlers
Wohlers Associates, Inc.
twohlers@compuserve.com