Re: Rapid prototyping of Multi-layered PCB

From: Seiji Ito (ito@sdp.sel.sony.com)
Date: Thu May 07 1998 - 03:00:34 EEST

Dear Brock Hinzmann

I have tried to search the informations through the web site from the list
that you suggested me.
Unfortunately, I could not find any informaitons yet, as you said.

But I would like to keep searching about this theme.
I want to try to get more information from MCB site depends on your suggestion.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,
Seiji Ito

In message "Re: Rapid prototyping of Multi-layered PCB",
Brock Hinzmann wrote...
>RP or PCBs probably predates stereolithography. At one time (circa
>1990?), several companies existed to make prototype boards automatically in a
>few hours. The machines were essentially 2.5-D printing machines, using a
>variety of metal foils and/or conductive polymers. Some of the company names
>included:
>
>Protoflex, Hudson, Wisconsin (a Girard company)
>Direct Imaging, Inc., West Lebanon, New Hampshire
>Printron, Inc., Albuquerque, New Mexico (a famous scandal)
>Protoype Systems, Saratoga, California
>Ariel Electronics, Sunnyvale, California
>Somich Technology, Winnepeg, Manitoba
>Instant Board Circuits, Novato, California
>
>Several others were offering related machines or 3-D molding of printed
>circuits. I suspect many of these operations no longer exist, but I haven't
>checked on any of them lately. One of the proplems expressed by some
>companies is that the boards must be fully functional prototypes, made of
>production materials, and testable in real products. Contract manufacturing
>companies, like Solectron, will make such fully-functional prototypes on a
>one-off basis or in small batches and will even suggest and make design
>changes, based on a wide range of experience. To get around Solectron's
>capabilities, you would have to come up with something that is very cheap and
>very fast and works really well. I am not saying it can't be done, however,
>depending upon what you intend to do with the prototype.
>
>It seems to me MCB had or has a journal called Circuit World. Perhaps
>that would be a good source to start.
>
>Brock Hinzmann
>Technology Navigator
>SRI International

Seiji Ito TEL: 1-619-673-2439 FAX: 1-619-673-2755(#7/MZ7240)
                                                 FAX: 1-619-676-3815(#7/TVA)
                            E-mail : ito@sdp.sel.sony.com
Engineering Support Center
Sony Electronics Inc.

16450 West Bernardo Drive, Bldg.7 / MZ7240
San Diego, California 92127-1804, USA