Re: Actua - Support Removal

From: ldbush (dan_bush@ibm.net)
Date: Thu May 07 1998 - 18:50:53 EEST

chad buchanan wrote:

> Jim,
>
> We have used some of the same techniques you have. I am assuming you
> are not using Allegro 2.0 yet. If you are, then you already know the
> rest of this.
>
> This software change uses fractals for the support structure making it
> MUCH easier to remove. We were a beta site for the Allegro 2.0 and
> found that the time to remove supports dropped by half or more. We
> still use dental picks, blades, bent coat hangers, and a brass bristle
> brush to get better model cleanup but no more part cooling. Not only is
> the part much easier to clean, the downfacing surface finish improvement
> is remarkable.
>
> To glue the parts together, we melt down the support structures in a
> glue pot and use either a syringe or brush to "glue" the two pieces
> together. Similar to a hot glue gun.........
>
> Chad Buchanan
> Cummins Engine
> c.l.buchanan@ctc.cummins.com

Hi Chad,

My name is Dan Bush and I represent Sanders Prototype in the central
U.S. I am familiar with Cummins (my favorite Diesel engine!) and can see
how an Actua would be a very good RP tool given the size of some of your
parts. But I would think you would also have some parts where you might
need better precision which is where the Model Maker II fits. A side
benefit is the castability of our material. It works great in the
traditional lost wax process.

Thanks for your consideration. If you aren't familiar with Sanders we
have a web site www.sanders-prototype.com. If you have questions please
give me a call at 940-383-9428.

Best regards,

Dan Bush