RE: SLS Somos problem

From: Long Phan (lphan@or1.plynex.com)
Date: Thu May 14 1998 - 22:08:31 EEST

I have to agree with David Leigh. The problem is mainly due to the roller bumping into the part. Changing the layer thickness somewhat reduces the problem, but decreases part resolution. Currently, at Plynetics Express we are building SLS Somos parts between .005"-.007" layer thickness with a fairly good success rate. I believe the key to prevent the roller diameter from increasing in size during the build is to start out with a super clean roller and scrapper. Therefore, during the machine preparation make sure to dress the roller and have the scrapper sit "water-tight" (hint: you should not be able to see between the scrapper and the roller) against the roller. This will help cut down the powder from accumulating on the trailing side of roller during build.
The bottom line, this is a roller issue and until the problem is fixed, don't count on the build to come out every time.

Long Phan
Plynetics Express Corporation
Tel 503-531-2701
Direct 503-531-2707