Texture mapping and STL conversions

From: Monica & Glenn Whiteside (SiderWhite@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue May 19 1998 - 07:45:34 EEST

Dear rp-ml:

I was reading an article this weekend in Machine Design (May 7, 1998 issue, pp. 33-34) about IronCAD software from Visionary Design Systems, Santa Clara, CA which has some neat features. One of these features is called texture mapping which helps minimize model sizes by showing what would be data-intensive details, such as threads or screen meshes, as features that come from a library. The threads would be described in notes on the draft or 2D drawing without having a precisely detailed solid model in 3D space. I'm wondering how this texture mapping works (or doesn't work) with STL file conversion. Are the current STL converters able to deal with texture mapping? If not, what are the ways around this? Would you end up having to create the soild entity anyways?
Just curious....

Regards,

Glenn Whiteside
Cessna Aircraft