Re: Living hinge

From: Rick Harrington (rharrington@harringtonpdc.com)
Date: Thu May 21 1998 - 14:00:28 EEST

Hello Sabino & List,

We have had a lot of good and bad experience with living hinges.

The best method is to machine from polypropylene if the geometry allows.

If not here are a couple of options:

1. Make a rubber tool of part. Make a polypropylene insert and cast in place.
2. We have a modified thermoset that we get pretty good results with. The
cycle is 10 to 50 movements depending on geometry.
3. Use same method as #1 but insert a piece of cloth as the hinge.

Hope this helps

Rick Harrington

At 02:13 PM 5/20/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Has anybody had any experience with prototyping a living hinge either by
>machining or water-jet cutting. The material is polypropylene.
>Specifically how many cycles could you expect from such a prototype?
>Thanks.
>
>Sabino Mata

Rick Harrington

Harrington Product Development Center

"Bringing it all Together"
Your partners in product development solutions

Phone: (513)482-4700
Fax: (513)482-4706
Toll Free: (800)482-2240
FTP Site: ftp.harringtonpdc.com