RAM memory on SLA-5000's

From: Monica & Glenn Whiteside (SiderWhite@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri May 22 1998 - 07:50:58 EEST

Dear rp-ml:

We've been running some extremely full builds (80 hours+) and have noticed that on some jobs the Preview on the SLA-5000 buildstation is painfully slow for a while and then it speeds up. This same thing occurs at exactly the same height when running the build. At first we thought our build file was bad so we checked to see if our STL files were good and then resliced it and tried again - same problem. We also tried rebooting the buildstation - no difference. Has anybody else experienced this? We also ran the NT CPU/system performance monitor afterwards to check to see how it was performing using this file as a test during Preview. The perf monitor was pegged! All 64 MB of RAM was taken up and the CPU was maxed out. Has anybody bumped their RAM memory up and had it dramatically improve performance? We are thinking of bumping our RAM to at least 128 MB so it won't have to use a swapfile off of the hard drive to run. An individual at 3D warned me that if we modified the buildstation computer from original specs we might be endangering our warranty (as per the recent "foreign" parts memo from 3D). I will do some more confirmation with other 3D people but this seems ridiculous. If brand new original spec equipment is inadequate and the manufacturer will not approve an easy upgrade path, where does that leave the user?

Any additional thoughts on this?

Regards,

Glenn Whiteside
Cessna Aircraft