Southern California users of TPM or Isopropyl

From: ralott@CCGATE.HAC.COM
Date: Wed May 27 1998 - 23:52:32 EEST

     After years of jumping through all the hoops that the SCAQMD requires
     for using TPM in a "Batch-Loaded Cold Cleaner" (which, by their
     definition is: "a batch-operated degreaser that is designed to
     contain liquid solvent, has an air-solvent interface, and is always
     operated at a temperature below the solvent's boiling point.") I've
     learned that they have revised Rule 1122 to effectively make use of
     either TPM or isopropyl impossible or at best very expensive.

     The new rule states:

     "Effective January 1, 1999, cleaning materials shall: (A) have a VOC
     content of 50 g/l or less, as used; or (B) be used in an air-tight or
     airless cleaning system that complies with the requirements of
     subdivisions blah blah blah..."

     I know that there are probably hundreds of small shops that are never
     scrutinized by the SCAQMD, but for the big guys, this new rule
     presents a problem unless we either do a lot of very expensive
     equipment modifications or find some new solvents with lower VOCs.

     Do any other list subscribers have these troubles? Has anyone any
     suggestions or solutions, like alternative solvents?

     This could force me to discontinue use of my SLA!

     Rick Lott
     Hughes Space and Communications
     Los Angeles, Calif.