RE: File Format for RP

From: Karl R. Denton (karldenton@ameritech.net)
Date: Tue Jun 02 1998 - 00:42:38 EEST

Justin,

The stl file re-write problem is not just something the equipment
manufacturers would rather not talk about it's the CAD/Solid Modelers as
well! I have seen converters for the stl file format come and go and when
one CAD vendor supposedly updated a year or two ago they did something that
worsened the problem. Getting this fixed was a real nightmare! I can't
imagine what they would do with a new file format.

As far as the file format goes...my only complaint is that I need lots and
lots and lots of triangles to fully describe a part that will be run on a
machine capable of fine resolution. I have had little or no "problems"
otherwise.

Karl R. Denton
President
Advanced Technology Consultants LLC