measuring surface rougness

From: smit, a. de (a.desmit@io.tudelft.nl)
Date: Thu Jun 04 1998 - 16:29:56 EEST

Dear Gautham Kattethota, Al Hastbacka or any other who might know,

about a month ago I read some mails on the topic of surface roughness.
I am looking for equipment to measure surface rougness on plasic-foams.
(polystyrene, XPS)
typical values are 10 micro-meters RA and 70 micro-meters Rmax.
(1 micro-meter = 40 micro inch I think)
Does any of you know of a device capable of measuring these types of
rougnesses.
It should preferably be a hand held device and also preferably use a non
contact principle for measuring (optical?)
I would like to have brand names and names of manufacturers or
resellers.

thanks in advance

--
Bram de Smit