Re: measuring surface rougness

From: gautham@asu.edu
Date: Thu Jun 04 1998 - 21:27:15 EEST

Hi Smit,
        The device I am using to measure the surface roughness on FDM
parts is a Sheffield Surface Profile System (its not a hand-held
device & is contact type) manufactured by Giddings & Lewis.
Its a very versatile machine & will certainly be able to measure in the range
you need & more. It also comes with a wonderful software 'ProfileView' , which
will give you lots of statistical information.
        Here are some other devices which MAY suit your needs:

1. Manufacturer - Zygo. principle - interferometry.
2. ----do------ - Zeiss. both laser & contact type.
3. ----do------ - Hommel. Hand held, contact type.

Sorry couldnt be of much help. The only roughness measuring m/c I have used
other than a Taylor Hobson Surtronic 3(which couldnt measure the whole range
of surf. roughness I needed & neither will it be useful for you) is the
Sheffield device: it can measure roughness of
ground surfaces as well as horribly stair-stepped RP parts.

regards,
Gautham

 Gautham Kattethota Home : 950, South Terrace Road, #C349
 Grad. student, Tempe AZ 85281
 Dept. of MAE,Mail Code: 6106 Res Ph# : (602)967-4362
 Arizona State University, Off Ph# : (602)965-7830
 Tempe, AZ 85287 Email : gautham@asu.edu