Re: Tolerances

From: Professor P M Dickens (pdickens@dmu.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Jun 08 1998 - 10:44:43 EEST

Marshall,
It might be worth looking at a paper that we published at the Rapid
Tooling & Manufacturing conference in Denmark last year. - "The accuracy
of RP models for Investment Casting of Injection mould Tool Inserts",
Heather Almond et. al.
I give a few results of accuracy tests:
Sanders
epsilon 90 = 0.35mm, 39% of error values within +/- 0.1mm, max deviation
= 0.7mm
Actua No.1
epsilon 90 = 1.0mm, 38% of error values within +/- 0.1mm, max deviation
= 1.6 mm
Actua No.2
epsilon 90 = 1.2mm, 26% of error values within +/- 0.1mm, max deviation
= 1.7mm
SLA QuickCast 1.1 No.1
epsilon 90 = 0.05mm, 82% of error values within +/- 0.1mm, max deviation
= 1.1mm
SLA QuickCast 1.1 No.2
epsilon 90 = 0.05mm, 86% of error values within +/- 0.1mm, max deviation
= 0.02mm
SLA QuickCast 2.0 No.1
epsilon 90 = 0.2mm, 44% of error values within +/- 0.1mm, max deviation
= 0.4mm
SLA QuickCast 2.0 No.2
epsilon 90 = 0.1mm, 70% of error values within +/- 0.1mm, max deviation
= 0.3mm

Phill

Professor Phill Dickens
De Montfort University