CHRYSLER: New technology center

From: Yakov Horenstein (yakov@planet.it)
Date: Mon Jun 08 1998 - 09:58:07 EEST

 CHRYSLER: New technology center planned to develop plastic injection molding
                                   technology

                            (M2 Presswire; 06/05/98)

M2 PRESSWIRE-5 June 1998-CHRYSLER: New technology center planned to develop
plastic injection molding technology (C)1994-98 M2 COMMUNICATIONS LTD

Auburn Hills, Mich. -- Chrysler Corporation and a major equipment supplier
are initiating plans to build a development center two years ahead of
schedule for Chrysler's unique plastic injection molding technology.

Husky Injection Molding Systems of Bolton, Ontario has purchased land in
Novi, Mich., a Detroit suburb, to build an approximately 65,000 square foot
facility. The research and development center, which should be complete and
operational by July 1999, will be able to mold a four to twelve piece car
body in plastic. In contrast, a conventional steel-bodied car would require
80 - 90 metal parts to make the same full car body.

"This is a major step toward inventing a new way of manufacturing
automobiles," said Larry Oswald, Executive Engineer, Advanced Body
Engineering. "We'll be doing manufacturing tests with actual Chrysler car
and truck parts and will be using the test results to determine when and if
we'll go into production with this technology."

"We use PET, the same basic material of plastic beverage bottles, and a
unique, efficient manufacturing process to make vehicle structures. This is
the first lighweight material we've developed that actually would cost less
than traditional steel. The end result will be more efficient and
affordable vehicles," Oswald said.

Husky's facility will house the largest two-platen injection molding
machine in the world, said Trefor Jones, General Manager, Husky Detroit
Region. The machine applies 8,800 tons of clamp force, and is as large as a
locomotive and together with the mold weighs as much as two fully loaded
747s.

"Three years ago, Husky planned to have a new technology center built by
2000 to get closer to an automotive customer base in Detroit," Jones said.
"While we plan to work with other customers in addition to Chrysler, it was
Chrysler's project that prompted us to move our build plans ahead two
years."

"Success with initial tests has prompted Chrysler to continue the project
on a larger basis with equipment designed to match Chrysler's specific
requirements for large automotive parts," Oswald said.

Chrysler has showcased the technology in one-of-a-kind, hand-built concepts
including the 1997 Composite Concept Vehicle (CCV), 1997 Plymouth Pronto,
1998 Plymouth Pronto Spyder and the 1998 Dodge Intrepid ESX2.

CONTACT: Scott Fosgard/Ann Smith Tel: +1 304 725 1358 Denise Sulinski Tel:
+1 248 512 2317