Re: Reverse Engineering or Engineering Backwards?

From: Justin R. Kidder (jrkst34+@pitt.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 12 1998 - 19:03:11 EEST

On Fri, 12 Jun 1998 lblasch@opw-fc.com wrote:

> Glenn Whiteside said:
>
> I can envision the day when a designer may see a problem with a part
> when setting up a build in Maestro and be able to correct the problem
> right there and update the current design system-wide without having
> to log on to another workstation or CAD system.

> Glenn,
>
> Explain to me why you want to make design changes at the RP level
> instead of in the system that designed the model.
>
> You seem to be asking for the same things that I am with regards to
> the integration of RP into the design system. Except that you want to
> add capabilities to an RP preparation program (Maestro) that already
> exist in many CAD modeling systems like FEA mesh generation,
> integration of FEA results back into the design (optimization),
> toolpath generation for NC machining...
>
> This is why I want the RP setup (Print Driver) added to the CAD system
> where the rest of the work is done.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Larry Blasch
> System Administrator for Engineering Services

I think he mentioned something about OLE for D&M. The point is, you don't
have to add those capabilites to RP preparation programs. If you can
insert (or load) the RP model as an imbedded object, you can edit it
*using the CAD program* within your RP program. A bit confusing, but to
see what I mean, go to Word, insert an Equation object into your document,
and then later "edit" your equation (right mouse click for the menu, I
think). The Equation Editor program will run, but you're still in
Word--just your menus have changed. As long as your equation is an OLE
object and you have both programs running on the same computer, you can do
this without ever really changing programs. I'm no expert on this stuff,
so some details could be off, but the idea is right. A fine idea...but
OLE doesn't exist on Unix, *yet*.

Justin

Justin Kidder, Research Asst. | Automation and Robotics Laboratory
jrkst34+@pitt.edu | University of Pittsburgh

               Home page: http://www.pitt.edu/~jrkst34
         There are two rules for ultimate success in life:
                1. Never tell everything you know.