RE: Reverse Engineering or Engineering Backwards?

From: Bauer Juergen (Juergen.Bauer@SPY.SIEMENS.DE)
Date: Mon Jun 15 1998 - 10:25:39 EEST

>I think he mentioned something about OLE for D&M. The point is, you
don't
>have to add those capabilites to RP preparation programs. If you can
>insert (or load) the RP model as an imbedded object, you can edit it
>*using the CAD program* within your RP program. A bit confusing, but
>see what I mean, go to Word, insert an Equation object into your
document,
>and then later "edit" your equation (right mouse click for the menu, I
>think). The Equation Editor program will run, but you're still in
>Word--just your menus have changed. As long as your equation is an OLE
>object and you have both programs running on the same computer, you can
do
>this without ever really changing programs. I'm no expert on this
stuff,
>so some details could be off, but the idea is right. A fine idea...but
>OLE doesn't exist on Unix, *yet*.
And it never will, because OLE is owned by Microsoft.
The only platform- and company-independent alternative would be CORBA
(Common Object Request and Broker Architecture) developed by a IT
consortium over a number of years, but this has not made it into D&M
yet, to my knowledge.

I can only see the way outm that was mentioned:
Build in the RP bild software as a kind of "print driver" or some sort
of plug-in into each CAD System.

To use a STEP description for this purpose would cure some of these
problems, but this is still an external geometry database, with the
common problems (translation time, information loss, cost, ...).

Regrards
Juergen