Re: Fusible Core Castings

From: Vittorio Pedron (mcpitaly@tin.it)
Date: Thu Jun 25 1998 - 20:57:11 EEST

Chad Wedding wrote:

> Hello, my name is Chad Wedding and I work for R.J. Robinson at the
> University of Kentucky. I am working with low melt alloys from MCP to
> form the core inserts for RTV molding. The core mold is also RTV. The
> alloy is Tin-Bismuth and melts at 70 degrees C. The problem we are having
> is that we the parts have a very porous surface. If anyone has any
> experience with casting thes low melt alloys, I would appreciate any
> recommendations concerning temperature, rate of fill, etc.
>
> William Chad Wedding
> wcwedd01@engr.uky.edu

  You can do that job by other alloys from MCP. I would suggest to use MCP 69
and / or MCP 96.
The first you can cast between 75°C and 85°C and the second around 105°C -
115°C.
Do not put the gate directly on the core but better on the bottom side.
Warm up the mould, at least 70°C with the MCP 69 and 90°C with MCP 96; be sure
there's no moisture in the mould.
If you need more info contact me.

Best regards.
Vittorio Pedron