RE: IGES to .Stl

From: Paul Lasman (caddesign@sprynet.com)
Date: Wed Jul 01 1998 - 19:17:44 EEST

We have been doing IGES to .Stl conversions for the local R/P shops for
many years using Unigraphics.

The procedure can be very tedious and the IGES output can have a great
effect on the completeness of the converted IGES file. There are several
entity types that are not supported within IGES and the proper settings on
the output side needs to take this into account. For example trimmed
revolved surfaces don't come through but if the surfaces are conveted to
b-surfaces they come through much better.

Another feature of Unigraphics and maybe other systems as well is that it
is not necessary for the surfaces to be sewn into a solid before converting
to .Stl, this method can save time.

In some cases we have used the surface model as a guide to recreate the
model as a solid, this method tends to be most useful when the model needs
to have chem-mill added because much of the time the surface definition is
too complex for the system to do an offset.