Re: artist wants carved styrene shapes

From: michael rees (zedand00@sound.net)
Date: Mon Jul 06 1998 - 18:34:02 EEST

Derek Smith-EDS014 wrote:

> Gautham,
>
> One comment about your process. If you want the Z-axis (perpendicular to the
> slices) to be the proper scale relative to the X & Y, then the size of your
> projection relative to the original, the foam thickness, and the slice
> thickness chosen in QuickSlice must all be considered. I think you said you
> were doing a big tooth, and you would end up with one that is too tall or
> short otherwise.
>
> Regards,
>
> ...Derek
> ____________________________________
>
> E. Derek Smith
> 3DP Program Manager
> Technology Scout

Dear list,

As long as we're getting into details here, my students and I have
developed some more specific means to achieve these ends. Firstly, we
are able to slice up the models and print them out from within the
program that built them, FORM Z. (This allows for the user to build
registration areas into the part and to make supports for overhangs and
convolutions.) The printed paper is glued to the layer material, and the
part is cut by hand. By measuring the thickness of the layer material ,
the glue, and the paper, one can get a pretty accurate approximation of
a true layer thickness, which minimizes distortion over several hundred
layers.

The cross sections can be printed out very large, constrained only by
the width of large scale black and white architectural printers.

It works quite well, for those with the patience and a penchant for hand
work.

Best,

--
michael rees SCULPTOR 		http://www.sound.net/~zedand00/