Re: Can RP be a manufacturing technology?

From: Neil Hopkinson (nhopkins@dmu.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Jul 10 1998 - 11:28:03 EEST

kmtakita@knowledgefoundation.com wrote:

> I am currently researching a possible meeting to explore whether rapid
> prototyping technologies can be used as actual production/manufacturing
> technologies (kind of like in Toy Soldiers!). Do you know of anyone who is
> currently utilizing RP in this way who might be willing to speak with me
> about their experiences?
>
> I'd also welcome anyone's opinion on the matter, in particular, whether or
> not you think that there is/will be any inherent benefits in choosing RP
> over other production methods. From what I've heard so far, there seems to
> be a long way to go...

  At De Montfort University (UK) we have already looked at this in some
detail. The best person to speak to would be Phill Dickens
(pdickens@dmu.ac.uk).

Neil Hopkinson (nhopkins@dmu.ac.uk)
Department of Mechanical & Manufacturing Engineering, De Montfort University,
Leicester, UK, LE1 9BH Tel: 0116 2551551 x8093