Re: Can RP be a manufacturing technology?

From: Alain BERNARD (bernard@cran.u-nancy.fr)
Date: Fri Jul 10 1998 - 18:55:51 EEST

Phil,

I agree with you.
we have already seen in the past few years that some companies were
analyzing their conventional means in order to adapt new technologies, and
they have chosen some RP processes as alternatives for industrial parts.
Unother element is that in some cases of applications, aeronautic for
example, the number of parts that corresponds to the demand is just a few
and, in many cases, does not justify and expansive and conventional tooling.

Best Regards,

Prof. A. BERNARD

A 15:58 10/07/98 +0100, vous avez écrit :
>I am convinced that RP can be used for manufacturing. I have already
>shown that we can use the existing RP processes to economically
>manufacture plastic parts in lots of several thousand or more.
>For more information refer to my paper at SME conf. this year. Also see
>the paper presented there by Norma Jean Iveson.
>You might also want to speak to Eli Sachs or Mike Cima at MIT as the 3D
>Printing process is now being used to manufacture tablets in millions!
>Within ten years or so we will have a range of machines which will be
>capable of producing end use parts in quantities from 1 to millions.
>Its just a question of effort and changing our thinking from prototyping
>to manufacturing.
>
>Prof. Phill Dickens
>De Montfort University
>Leicester
>

>kmtakita@knowledgefoundation.com wrote:
>>
>> I am currently researching a possible meeting to explore whether rapid
>> prototyping technologies can be used as actual production/manufacturing
>> technologies (kind of like in Toy Soldiers!). Do you know of anyone who is
>> currently utilizing RP in this way who might be willing to speak with me
>> about their experiences?
>>
>> I'd also welcome anyone's opinion on the matter, in particular, whether or
>> not you think that there is/will be any inherent benefits in choosing RP
>> over other production methods. From what I've heard so far, there seems to
>> be a long way to go...
>>
>> For more information about the rp-ml, see http://ltk.hut.fi/rp-ml/

Prof. Alain BERNARD Tel : + 33 (0)3 83 91 27 29
Professeur des Universites + 33 (0)3 83 91 20 09
CRAN ESA CNRS 7039 Fax : + 33 (0)3 83 91 23 90
UHP Nancy I - ESIAL
BP n° 239, 54506 - VANDOEUVRE Cedex - FRANCE
ATTENTION ! NEW E-MAIL !
e-mail : alain.bernard@cran.u-nancy.fr http://www.cran.u-nancy.fr