Model-making market

From: Marshall Burns (marshall@ennex.com)
Date: Sat Jul 18 1998 - 20:45:45 EEST

Good morning!

    Does anyone have any data on the size of the professional model
making market? I'm not talking about rapid prototyping here, but about
all kinds of professionally made models and prototypes, including:

        -- Product models for engineering and marketing
        -- Automotive clay models
        -- Architectural models
        -- Industrial design models
        -- Scientific, medical, and biochemical models
        -- Hollywood set design models
        -- Working prototypes of mechanical products

    This would include both in-house work at large companies and work
done by independent model-making companies for their customers.

    My guess is we have to be talking about multiple billions here,
easily. Maybe that much just in Detroit.

    I would appreciate any information provided, and will report a
summary of nonconfidential responses back to the list.

    Thank you.

Best regards,
Marshall Burns
Marshall@Ennex.com