Reverse engineering from digital photographs...

From: Monica & Glenn Whiteside (SiderWhite@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Jul 29 1998 - 05:10:18 EEST

Dear rp-ml:

Does anybody have any experience with software that converts digital
photographs (preferably JPEG format) into 3D models? I've heard about this
several months ago - any new updates?

This sure would be handy for a project I'm currently involved in now -
optimizing (reducing tube length to only what's necessary to reduce weight
and material costs) service air tube routings and locations in an aircraft.
I've made a lot of digital photographs at different angles and it would be
real nice to generate a 3D model - or something relatively close in accuracy
as a starting point. With a number of different projections available from
the photographs and inputting the diameter of the tubing (for more accurate
geometry generation), this seems like a very feasible project in today's RP
world.

Any opinions or additional information? Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks,

Glenn Whiteside
Cessna Aircraft Company
e-mail: siderwhite@worldnet.att.net