Re: Tooling update needed

From: Ben Staub (ben@bastech.com)
Date: Thu Aug 20 1998 - 20:47:27 EEST

Elaine,

At BASTECH, we use many different R.P. Tooling methods depending on the
project. Our most common are listed below:

    Bridge Tooling Aim (SLA)
                                         Copper Duraform (DTM)
                                         Epoxy

    Semi Hard Keltool
                                       Phast Tooling
                                       Rapidsteel 2
                                       Machined tooling

Each process has its own advantages and disadvantages, so my answers are
very dependent on how we use each process.

For bridge tooling, AIM tools offer good detail and dimensional accuracy,
but it is very limited in life and which plastic materials can be used. We
have had great success with Copper Duraform from DTM as far as tool life,
but accuracy and fine details are not as high quality as some other methods
(depending on the customer's needs).

For semi-hard tooling, we use 3D Keltool as our most common method for
various reasons. Once we went through the learning curve (approximately 2
years ago) of its best applications, the process is very dependable and
consistent. Im not saying it is perfect or a solution for every tool but it
is good at producing smaller, complex geometry tooling. We have produced
over 50 Keltools or partial keltool plastic injection molds to date, most of
which had a 4 week turnaround.

We have recently started using the Phast Process, with good success. This
process is still considered developemental at BASTECH, but for the few tools
we have done it has some promising advantages. This process can offer faster
turnaround and larger size capabilities than Keltool.

We have also just started using RapidSteel 2 from DTM. It is too soon to
comment on what we have done in house, but based on what I have seen from
other users, it looks very promising as far as accuracy and speed. We are
just starting to run the material in house this week. I can update you with
our success ( hopefully in a few weeks).

Assuming your question about materials was regarding plastics, we have
injected a large selection of materials in our semi-hard tools. The most
difficult to mold being GE Ultem, as well as many highly filled nylons. We
have also injected the standard materials, PP, LDPE, ABS, and
Polycarbonates. Most of our experience deals with Keltool and machined
tools.

I should also mention that we have our own Plastic Press so we inject most
of our customers tools in house.

Your last question as to which tools you can buy today, all of the methods
mentioned above are available now, although some are not fully proven.

                Ben Staub Ph.
(937)890-9292
                BASTECH, Inc. Fx. (937)890-9293
                3541 Stop Eight Rd. Email ben@bastech.com