Slightly OT - Cheap 3-D Images Analysed by E-mail...

From: Allan E W Rennie (arenni01@buckscol.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Sep 01 1998 - 19:36:46 EEST

RPers,

I've just read an article about capturing 3-D images on the cheap. The
article can be found in the September 1998 (Issue 54) Issue of Opto &
Laser Europe.

Here's what it says:-

Cheap 3-D images analysed by e-mail

Those without a laser scanner wishing to capture a three-dimensional
profile of an object can now rent an etched glass slide and manual, and
take a photograph. A Belgian start-up firm will analyse the results in
minutes by e-mail for USD 130 per image.
KU Leuven originally developed the ShapeSnatcher (OLE October 1996 p43).
Local company Eyetronics has turned it into a commercial system based on
a slide projector, an etched glass slide and an ordinary camera.
Software analyses the photograph to determine the object's shape. Using
a video instead of a single photograph allows the creation of dynamic
three-dimensional models, of a talking person, for example.
"Our system can be set up in 5 min or less and gives results as good as,
if not better than, a laser scanner," said Filip Defoort, general
manager of Eyetronics. "People at the BBC special effects studio were
amazed when we showed them our dynamic three-dimensional models."
The firm's package costs USD 700 per year. Photographs can be posted or
e-mailed for processing. Eyetronics also provides full services such as
dynamic three-dimensional modelling.
You can contact Eyetronics by fax on +32 16 29 83 19.

Regards,

Allan.

--

Allan E W Rennie Research Student Centre for Rapid Design and Manufacture Buckinghamshire Chilterns University College Queen Alexandra Road High Wycombe, Bucks HP11 2JZ, UK

Tel: +44 (0)1494 605085 Fax: +44 (0)1494 538593

http://www.buckscol.ac.uk/tech/crdm/crdm.html