Re: Pro-E and .stl files

From: Matt Michaelis (michma@carpediem.com)
Date: Wed Sep 02 1998 - 22:11:00 EEST

At 08:47 AM 9/2/98 +0800, Lin Liutong wrote
>We could definitely convert Pro-E part file to .stl files, but is
>there anyway that convert .stl file back Pro-E file?

As the others who responded to your question said, it is possible to
convert directly from STL to Pro/E via IGES, however the resulting Pro/E
file is essentially useless because of the huge memory and time
requirements created by the HUGE number of surface created. Also, when
your done, you have a basically unmodifiable part, since an STL file
does not contain any parametric information.

If at all possible, make all data changes in the native software used
(Pro/E). However, if this is not possible, it is possible to utilize
the modified STL file to add features to an existing part. This can be
done utilizing software (such as Imageware Surfacer) to manipulate the
STL file and export data describing the changes for use as a template to
recreate the features in Pro/E.

If an STL file is all you have, like happened to one of our customers,
it is possible to reverse engineer the part using a combination of
Imageware Surfacer and Pro/E. We used the STL data is used to a create
a parametric Pro/E part. However, this process is far from automatic,
and, depending on part complexity, can require much time and money. The
STL file is used like one would 3D scan data (point cloud), since an STL
file is basically a tessellated Point Cloud.

--

B. Matthew Michaelis - Product Development Engineer Compression, Inc. 25242 Arctic Ocean Drive Lake Forest, CA 92630 (949)586-5875 http://www.carpediem.com Matt.Michaelis@carpediem.com