Re: Ciba 5220 SLA resin

From: Beth P Israelnaim (Beth@bdrc.bd.com)
Date: Thu Sep 03 1998 - 21:37:52 EEST

I am currently using Ciba SL5220 in a SLA250/50 with a small spot laser. I am extremely happy with the resin. Yes, it does live up to its claims. The build time is faster (a lot) . I am building using no pre-dip and only a 2 second Z-wait. The only reason I'm using the 2 second Z-wait is to allow myself a pause window if I need it, but thus far I haven't needed it during a build. It cleans up nicely and post cures without becoming gummy. The side walls are better. My cured line width is smaller - so even with an already small cured line width because of the small spot laser, it is even smaller than SL5170 was with the same type laser. The parts finish up great and the color is less tinted, not that SL5170 was ever too dark. One thing I used to notice with SL5170 is the part would become a little tinted if my TPM was getting saturated, with SL5220 it starts out better and stays better even with saturated TPM. Our supports are easier to remove. We also performed some water testing using the parts and the SL5220 outperformed the SL5170 parts.

In summary, I love the resin. It is very accurate, easy to clean, easy to finish and I leave everyday with a very high confidence that I will come in to a successful build. I build everything at 0.003" and I have only lost 1 part completely - that is 1 part off of a tray of parts where minimal damage was done to only 2 parts which were next to the failed part, all the other parts finished successfully and undamaged - it was great.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Beth Israelnaim

        lrwhitaker @ mmm.com 09/03/98 12:56 PM
To: rp-ml <rp-ml @ ltk.hut.fi> @ INTERNET
cc: krpinney <krpinney @ mmm.com> @ INTERNET, mahartfel <mahartfel @ mmm.com> @ INTERNET Subject: Ciba 5220 SLA resin

Greetings RP-ML,

We are considering changing from Ciba 5170 to the Ciba 5220 resin in our
SLA250/40 machine. Before we do, we'd like to get some feed back from
current users.

Does this resin live up to the claims?
Are build times significantly faster?
Does it post cure like the 5170 without becoming gummy?
Are side wall finishes actually better?
How well do these parts finish off?
Do the supports remove easily?