Re: 10%

From: William D. Richards (wdr@virtcon.com)
Date: Thu Sep 10 1998 - 18:39:54 EEST

Elaine,

        If you want to see where RP&M will be when we know the other 90%,
just watch Star Trek. When you can sit down in front of your computer and
say, "Tea. Earl Grey. Hot," and moments later there is a steaming cup of
tea on your desk, then you will know we are there.
        How long will it take for us to get there? Maybe not as long as one
might think. A number of years ago, scientists using a linear accelerator
succeeded in creating an atom of gold from a boron atom. We have learned
that we can manipulate individual atoms and write words and make smiley
faces with them.
        We need to learn how to make this happen quickly, and how to get
two or more atoms to connect during this process to make a molecule. And
then how to piece the molecules together into the shape that we want. All
the while keeping radiation levels under control so that the finished item
is not dangerous to handle. This is what makes up the other 90% that we
don't yet know how to do.

        I would say in 10 years we might see a rapid prototyping machine
that fires charged particles against an anode through a magnetic field that
controls where the particles stick -- much the way a television tube guides
electrons against the phospher screen. Maybe a laser gives a quick lick of
heat to fuse the particles together on each layer. Whatever particles don't
stick can be recycled by the system into the next layer.
        The build material could be kept in a cartridge much like toner for
a laser printer is today.

>If RP "experts" know only 10% of what could be know about RP&M, how long
>will it take us to know the other 90%? Where are we looking for this other
>90% of knowledge? What will RP&M look like when we know the other 90%?

>Opinions, suggestions, and other controversial matter VOID where prohibited.
>Elaine T. Hunt, Director
>Clemson University Laboratory to Advance Industrial Prototyping
>206 Fluor Daniel Bldg. Clemson, SC 29643-0925
>864-656-0321 (voice) 864-656-4435 (fax)
>elaine.hunt@ces.clemson.edu
>http://chip.eng.clemson.edu/rp/persall/elaine.html

         /| Bill Richards |
        | | Virtual Concepts Design ...Where the Virtual |
        | | Becomes REAL! |
        | | 696 Paine Rd. |
        | | North Attleborough, MA 02760 |
        | | Phone/Fax:(508) 695-0534 |