CoCreate Announces OneSpace

From: Yakov Horenstein (yakov@planet.it)
Date: Fri Sep 18 1998 - 12:50:58 EEST

  CoCreate Announces the Immediate Availability of OneSpace, the Industry's
      First Web-Enabled, CAD-Independent Real-Time Collaboration Solution

                           (Business Wire; 09/15/98)

 FORT COLLINS, COLO. (Sept. 15) BUSINESS WIRE -Sept. 15, 1998--

OneSpace Sets a New Standard for VPDM Product-development Environments

CoCreate Software Inc., a subsidiary of Hewlett-Packard Company, today
announced the immediate availability of OneSpace, the industry's first Web-
enabled, real-time product-development solution. OneSpace targets the
emerging virtual product development management (VPDM) market. OneSpace
functions on top of most 3-D computer-aided design (CAD) environments,
meaning that users don't have to invest in a new CAD technology to leverage
the benefits.

OneSpace is the industry's first production-ready solution that enables all
members of a mechanical design team -- including customers, suppliers and
internal divisions -- to interact with each other in real time. OneSpace
allows distributed team members from multiple disciplines to share
information and simultaneously work on and modify a master model in
electronic space. The resulting is a more innovative and productive
product-development environment that leverages a company's most-important
asset, its intellectual capital.

"Gartner Group believes the VPDM market is going to experience rapid growth
during the next five years as manufacturers look for ways to leverage their
intellectual capital in real time, instead of simply capturing design
intent," said Dave Burdick, vice president of Gartner Group, a Stamford,
Conn.-based market-research firm.

"CoCreate is the first software vendor to offer a CAD-neutral synchronous
product-development solution that works on the actual 3-D model," said
Tilman F. Schad, CoCreate's president and chief executive officer.
"OneSpace is the first shipping release of CoCreate's new product line to
address our customers' growing needs for a true collaborative or shared
engineering solution.

"Success in the future will depend not on fine-tuning profit margins but on
frequent, regular innovation. It is not enough to think up a good idea
once; plenty of companies have done this, and then failed. The goal is
instead to develop a culture of continuous breakthrough innovation. With
OneSpace, companies can make innovation a part of their culture by
encouraging people from different disciplines with different perspectives
to explore and experiment with ideas together." REAL BUSINESS RESULTS

"We are using CoCreate OneSpace on our Express5800 workstation for
developing the next generation of Express5800 products more interactively
with experts from other disciplines," said Takumi Hasegawa, NEC
Workstations and Servers Division, manager, Engineering. "OneSpace
contributed in the feedback- collection process during review meetings by
significantly increasing the amount of input compared to the prior process.
This helped us to reduce time-to- market by two weeks."

OneSpace enables fast project turnaround by continuously allowing internal
experts, partners and suppliers to work together, thereby avoiding late
surprises in the project.

"Although they are located at different sites, our design and manufacturing
engineers are sharing ideas as if they were all in the same room," said
Dennis Oddsen, vice president of engineering from Leviton Manufacturing, a
Little Neck, N.Y.-based company. "Communication during review meetings is
so clear that we expect to be able to reduce travel time and costs by up to
30 percent."

Java-based clients, called OneSpace Collaboration Stations, are
multiplatform and communicate with the server using CORBA as the
communication layer. Their intuitive user-interface components, such as
drag-and-drop features, has led to widespread customer acceptance among
pilot installations. "I started showing OneSpace to some of our team
members in manufacturing," said Brad Tallis, CAD/CAE support, HP's Inkjet
Supplies Business Unit. "They stopped me before I completed the
presentation and said, 'I want this right away.' " ABOUT COCREATE

CoCreate Inc. is a software subsidiary of Hewlett-Packard Company. It
develops mechanical computer-aided-design and product-data-management
software that supports the concept of shared-space design. The software
includes OneSpace for distributed, collaborative product development;
SolidDesigner for product modeling design; ME10 for 2-D design, drafting
and documentation; and WorkManager for product-data and workflow
management. CoCreate solutions are known for high quality, ease of use,
customization and support of industry standards. They are available in 10
languages and are installed on more than 100,000 systems in design,
engineering and manufacturing organizations worldwide.

Information about CoCreate Software Inc. and its products can be found on
the World Wide Web at http://www.cocreate.com.

-0- eb/sf*

CONTACT: CoCreate James D. Jackson, 970/206-8067

james_jackson@fc.hp.com CoCreate, Europe

Ute Hillmer, +49-7031-951-2234 ute_hillmer@hp.com