The growth and decline of RP&M events: User comments as organized by me

From: Mark Littlewood (TCTRapidNews@compuserve.com)
Date: Tue Sep 22 1998 - 12:08:55 EEST

Way to go Elaine.

You can always be relied upon to get a discussion going. Hats of to you!

Could only agree with what you say EXCEPT:

There is one event that has shown significant growth over the past three
years and we did hope that you would be able to get involved in it this
year.

We have acted on a lot of the things that you have suggested in your
posting and have been building on this event over the past two years. Our
central focus is providing end users with useful information. This can
sometimes upset vendors and other interested parties as everybody involved
in these events has their own objectives but educating the masses - not
just the early adopters, has to be the way to icrease the size of the
RP/TCT market overall and bring new people into the fold.

TCT 98 has been so successful that we have now been able to include a
Technical Conference alongside our original Applications event. This has
been masterminded by Phil Dickens who was behind the Nottingham University
event until he moved to De Montfort (Leicester) University. A far lower
percentage of attendees (probably 60 of the 500 attendees) to the overall
event are registered for this technical event but we feel that it is
vitally important to have a forum in Europe to keep the research fires
burning. The people attending the Technical Sessions are VERY DIFFERENT to
the people that attend the Applications Sessions. The Technical people tend
to be very involved in their own research into specific areas and the
general feeling amongst these people seems to suggest that they attend
these kinds of events for different reasons to attendees at the main
events.

I would love to have you involved in an event like this - don't say we did
not invite you! I would be most interested to hear your thoughts about what
we are up to, and what your vision for the future is.

With very best wishes.

Mark Littlewood

Chicago - 312 58 1548
London - 0171 924 5655