Re: Horses' Heads

From: John Male (jmale01@buckscol.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Oct 08 1998 - 14:14:35 EEST

Matt,

It might be worth looking into using a shape from shading technique,
where a single image is taken, and if the lighting conditions are known,
then the shape of the object may be predicted from the light intensity
of each pixel.
This technique is normally used in getting 3D maps of terrain, so I'm
not sure if it will work very well with a horses head, its accuracy, or
what format the output will be in.
A company who does this is Pacific-Sierra Research, and their web page
is at http://www.psrw.com/image/imageintro.html
They also offer a free trial service to convert images over the web at
http://www.psrw.com/image/IU_Services/Shape_from_shading.html
They should at least be able to tell you if it is feasible.
I take it that its out of the question to knock the horse out and prop
it in front of the scanner :-)

John

Murphy, Matt wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> I need to scan a horses head in some way, on route to a 3D CAD model.
>
> The horse won't keep still long enough to laser scan it.
>
> Does any one know of a system capable of 'single shot' data collection, big
> enough to drive a horse into.
>
> Matt
>
> Dr Matt Murphy
> Head of Practice - Rapid Manufacturing