Submersible, buoyant, rotor testing

From: Marshall Burns (marshall@ennex.com)
Date: Thu Oct 15 1998 - 01:30:47 EEST

Dear RP-world,

    We have a client that wants to prototype and test a water
flow-measuring turbine rotor. They need a specific gravity of 0.9 +/-
0.02 for neutral buoyancy.

    What fabricator ("RP") materials can people recommend that

            (a) have specific gravity of 0.9 +/- 0.02
            (b) do not swell or degrade in water ("cold" tap water, 40
to 75 F), and
            (c) will stand up to continuous free (ie propelled by the
water, not powered) rotation of about 1850 rpm with short term exposures
to 2400 rpm.

    The rotor has 16 blades 0.126 inches thick and 0.765 inches wide
with root and tip diameters of 2.5 and 3 inches respectively and a 30
deg twist. The production material currently is molded polypropylene,
which has adequate properties.

    I know that Cubital has reported successful results with underwater
rotor testing under much more challenging conditions. Does anyone want
to recommend specific materials for this application on a Solider, SLA,
Sinterstation, FDM, or other fabricator?

    I would be happy to hear from fabricator shops (service bureaus) on
materials you work in. Helpful responses that indicate they offer
fabrication services in the recommended material will be referred to the
client. Third party recommendations of good shops for a project like
this will be appreciated as well.

    Feel free to respond publicly or privately. I will post a summary of
nonconfidential information received.

Best regards,
Marshall Burns
Marshall@Ennex.com