Re: machining from .stl files

From: Matt Michaelis (michma@carpediem.com)
Date: Mon Oct 19 1998 - 23:01:51 EEST

Steve C,

I did not mean to challenge or question your expertise, or knowledge of point
cloud data. I was trying to better understand what you have accomplished, and,
in doing so, best understand how it can be utilized by understanding its
limitations as well as its strengths.

Unfortunately, one major point I left out of my previous post, was my desire to
automatically or more quickly create a surface file from point cloud data. Back
to the original question, when going from an STL file to CNC via nurb surfaces
(since my tooling department tells be that nurb surfaces are much, much, much
better for CNC than STL files) a quick, accurate conversion is very desirable. I
can and have accomplished accurate nurb surface creation from 3D point cloud data
and STL files, but it is currently a laborious task using my methods (Pro/E and
Surfacer). Therefore, any method or software that speeds this process up is of
great interest to me.

Bottom line: does your process/software accomplish nurb surface creation
faster? If so, I am very interested whatever specifics/examples you are willing
to share. I am often in need of a source for auto-surfacing or a software
package that can accomplish it.

Flat surfaces in an STL file definitely make my job much easier also. However, I
was trying to understand how or if, provided your methods are quick/automatic,
you were able to deal with large flat section in an STL file.

I am not convinced that true auto-surfacing is possible using NURBS, however, I
am convinced that there are or will be better ways than my current methods.
Maybe your method/software is.

Respectfully,

B. Matthew Michaelis - Product Development Engineer
Compression, Inc.
25242 Arctic Ocean Drive
Lake Forest, CA 92630
(949)586-5875