RE: machining from .stl files

From: j.Gunnink@ind.tno.nl
Date: Wed Oct 21 1998 - 16:00:19 EEST

Dear list,

On the last TCT'98 conference (13-14 october, Nottingham, UK) we presented a
paper with the title : High Speed Milling, How to speed up Prototyping and
Tooling processes by using STL-Technology. In this paper you can find some
info on the process of High Speed Milling but more about CAD-CAM in general
and what the problems are in this area. It also explaines why the use of
STL-files (and the way of thinking like using a RP-system) can and is
speeding up milling processes drastically. We wrote this paper using our
experiences with:

1. STL-files on our FDM, LOM, KIRA/PLT and ACTUA/MJM-machine
2. Milling on our Mikron VCP710, HSM700 and Jobs-Jotech-5-axis milling
machines
3. 12 years of experience (and blood, sweat and tears) in 3D-CAD
4. 4 years of experience (and a lot of blood, sweat, tears and many
broken mills and wrecked milling machines) in full 3D-CAD-CAM.
5. 20 years of Toolmaking

But we also used our "farmers-knowledge" as we say in Holland.

You will find two applications in the area of tooling and one in the area of
prototyping in this paper. Contact the organization of the conference to get
a copy of the proceedings because (besides our paper) there is some other
good stuff in it aswell!!!!! Their phonenumber is:+44-171-924-5655 faxnumber
is +44-171-924-5677. e-mail: TCT_Rapid@compuserve.com. I will present the
same kind op paper during the Scandinavian Conference on Rapid Tooling &
Manufacturing on 28 and 29 october in Aarhus in Denmark at the DTI.

If you have read the paper or heard my presentation and you like to comment
(disagree or agree) please contact me because by discussing we can get the
milling technology in prototyping and tooling processes on a higher level
and we will beat those layered processes, just they beat milling in the past
. (Oeps ! what am i writing now !!!???)

All the best from Holland

Jan Willem Gunnink

TNO Industry