RE: searching for help

From: Derek Smith-EDS014 (Derek_Smith-EDS014@email.mot.com)
Date: Mon Oct 26 1998 - 21:23:44 EET

All,

Clara's request focused on the business benefits of CONFORMAL COOLING. You
have attempted to direct this person to another project. The application of
RP as a "visualization tool" may indeed have merit, but what is its value
relative to the benefits of conformal cooling? You may very well be reducing
the intellectual and business benefits of Clara's limited time of study. I
do not personally have the information to determine which project would
offer more benefit to the industrial community, and therefore refrain from
judgment and offer only caution.

These arguments are all interesting, but allow me to focus on the initial
post, which requested information regarding the "Business Benefits of
Conformal Cooling".

Clara,

I would be interested in talking or working with you more in the future if
your plan remains the study conformal cooling. Might I suggest that you will
learn little of substance through an initial request seeking information
without first establishing a relationship with your audience. An
introduction of both yourself and more detail about your planned research
project would be appropriate. I assume you have done this groundwork in
order to optimize your selection of a research topic.

What school are you attending (I don't think that hotmail.com will direct me
to your institution)? What is your area of study? Is this an undergraduate
or graduate project? What funding has been allocated, or will be requested?
What can you contribute, or would we just be giving you information?

What prior research have you done regarding conformal cooling? Do you have
special knowledge that you bring to this study? Will you be considering the
quality improvement aspect, the molding cycle time reduction aspect, or the
balance between the two? Do you plan to study it from a molding perspective,
with optimization of the mold and melt temperatures, which improves quality,
and thus helps the business? Do you plan to assess the potential for reduced
capitalization, increased throughput from a single tool, etc? Will you
identify and evaluate the mold building alternatives, and include mold
construction costs and tool life in your models? Will you even be building
any models? Is there a specific company you are working with?

Regards,

   ...Derek
____________________________________

E. Derek Smith