CHALLENGE

From: Randy Souders (souders@flash.net)
Date: Tue Oct 27 1998 - 17:03:59 EET

I am a quadriplegic. Each year hundreds of kids [now 43] end up like
myself and actor Christopher Reeve as a result of sports related spinal
cord injuries.

Surely you brilliant designers and engineers could figure out a simple,
cost effective way to quickly and securely attach a football helmet to a
shoulder-pad harness-- allowing full freedom of movement,
range-of-motion, etc.-- but preventing the most violent movements and
compression injuries to the neck and spinal cord.

Such a solution is desperately needed. These injuries cost an average
of $1 million and up in the first two years alone. I predict that the
person[s] who solve this problem will receive tremendous financial
rewards and honors from their patent. Insurance companies would likely
mandate the use of these devices as a condition of coverage. And I will
personally nominate the first patent recipient for the $50,000 Henry
Betts Rehabilitation Award.

I hope someone seriously persues this idea.

Sincerely,

Randy Souders
http://www.randysouders.com