Re: RP presentation to 'Civilians'

From: michael rees (zedand00@sound.net)
Date: Wed Oct 28 1998 - 18:42:25 EET

> notion that it is going to effect them if they wish to have successful
> carriers in Art/Design/Engineering.
>
> To the Point:
>
> Has anybody made presentations on Rapid Prototyping to an audience that
> has little or no background in Engineering. Have you used any clever
> ways of simplifying the concept so that everybody is interested and can
> see the importance of it??
>
> Any suggestions on approach or ways of conveying the above across will
> be greatly appreciated.

Good Morning Patrick,

I would like to point you to a couple of sources for the information you
seek.

On my web site are two papers. ONe was given at the International
Sculpture Conference and the other at the SME Rapid Prototyping
conference. Both of them deal extensively with art and rapid
prototyping. They also include brief descriptions of the rp process. the
adress for the papers is

http://www.sound.net/~zedand00/RPArt.html#top

Secondly, there is an organization in England that has worked to bridge
engineering and art using rapid prototyping. They are known through the
anacronym "CALM" (Creating Art WIth Layered Manufacture". Their web
adress is:

http://www.uclan.ac.uk/clt/calm/overview.htm

Thirdly, there is another sculptor in the UK that I've met, somewhat
connected with CALM but head of another organisation called FAST UK. His
name is Keith Brown and the FAST UK web site is:

http://www.finearts.mmu.ac.uk/fast-uk/

Finally, I would agree with a couple of other points made. SHOW MODELS.
If possible show a slide of the cad file and the rp model it produced.
The LAYERED PUZZLE mentioned earlier is a good analogy and works, people
get it. Finally SHARE YOUR ENTHUSIASM for just how cool this stuff is.

Good Luck!

--
michael rees SCULPTOR 		http://www.sound.net/~zedand00/
1212 w 8th St. Bldg B #2, 	816 753 3020 voice    zedand00@sound.net