Re: RP and Investment Casting Tooling

From: Tom Richards (tomr@aicasting.com)
Date: Thu Oct 29 1998 - 15:37:44 EET

Andrew: My comments are preceeded by <<<<<<
Regards, Tom Richards, Metallurgist

At 09:56 AM 10/29/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear RP world,
>I have several questions regarding the uses of RP in investment casting
>tooling:
>1. Other than patternmaking, what else is RP used for in investment
>casting? How successfull have those effort been?

<<<<<<<< We've been producing prototype precision cast parts by our Direct
RP Process for over seven years. More recently we've used our EXPERIMENTAL
Indirect RP process to prototype the tool rather than the part. By and
large, the parts meet print. Features are not quite as resolute as from
conventional CNC produced molds.

>2. What are the most common RP processes used to make investment casting
>tooling?

<<<<<<< at last count we've used patterns from twelve RP processes or
materials. Some are better than others. It's a matter of compatability with
our solid mold (2-day process) or our shell mold process (3-weeks process).
It's also a matter of resolution and surface finish versus economy. The
faster and cheaper the process, the less the resolution and finish. One
picks the most advantageous process for the part to be prototyped.

>3. How well do these RPed tools compare with the traditionally made
>tooling? In terms of strength, etc.

<<<<<<<<< RP tools can be cast in whatever alloy you choose. For example,
UTS for aluminum molds is about 34,000 PSI, for beryllium copper 75,000
annealed or 150,000 aged, or Rb100 for H13.

>4. What are the limitations of those RP processes you encountered when
>making investment casting tooling?

<<<<<<<<<<<< Resolution and finish versus speed and economy of build.

>5. Where can I find articles on RP in Investment casting on the web?

<<<<<<<< See our article "Prototype the Tool not the Part" in Job Shop
Technology Magazine Eastern May 1998.