Polane paint info

From: Gabe Clark (gabe.clark@sdaa.com)
Date: Fri Oct 30 1998 - 23:34:57 EET

List,
        Thank you for all of your quick responses. I don't post often but when
I do all of the ladies and gentlemen out their are true participants. Here is
a compilation of the responses from people who had information.

Gabe
                Polane is a 3 part urethane paint manufactured by
        "Shirwen Williams" you should be able to find it locally.
        Look for your local "industrial coatings" distributor.

        If you use these paints, I recommend a "hepa respirator".
        It is a vary hazordous paint to use..... But truely the best
        available.

        Hope this helps

                Gary

.

                                    \\|//
                                (o o)
                 -----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo--------------------
              A penny saved is a Congressional spending oversight

                                 Gary W. Allen

          Accelerated Technologies Supervisor-Shop Operations CSB
           606-334-3875 www.acceltechinc.com

           gallen@atiaustin.com
           gallen29@fuse.net

Gabe,

Polane is a 3 component polyurethane paint. I believe you can get it from
Sherwin Williams, automotive division. Be careful, it is very toxic and a
bit hard to work with

Rick Harrington

Harrington Product Development Center

"Bringing it all Together"
Your partners in product development solutions

Phone: (513)482-4700 Ext.3004
Fax: (513)482-4706
Toll Free: (800)482-2240 Ext 3004
Alpha Numeric Pager (800)393-2834

Gabe,

We have used it quite a few times over the past 2 years, and have had no
problems
at all. We have used it on both SLA and SLS, and are currently doing
production
work applying this to Urethane castings. If my memory is correct, the best way
apply Polane is with a pressurized gun.

Good Luck,

Jim

--
Jim Vander Linden
Rapid Prototyping

Gabe,

A quick search with AltaVista listed 136 documents referring to Polane.

http://www.metal-finishing.com/forums/paint/messages/438.htm would be a good place to start looking for information. Message sender says he has experience with polane paint and has a data sheet he could send to you. Apparently it's an epoxy polyurethane paint has very good build up and fill characteristics.

Ken Miller Miller Technologies 395 S. 1100 W. Farmington, UT 84025 Voice and Fax: (801) 451-7997 Email: foamcaster@aol.com

It is a Sherwood Williams paint and we use it all the time here at Coulter Corp. It what we specify and have not had any problems with SLA parts being painted. We have painted SL5170, Dupont 7110 and Ciba SL5220 with no problems. The only problem is when the paint bakes the parts at too high of temp and the parts distort.

Thanks Guy E. Bourdeau Secretary - 3DSNASUG Coulter Corporation 11800 SW 147th Ave. M/C: 12-A02 Miami, FL. 33196-2500 Phone: (305) 380-3806 Fax: (305) 380-4571 Email: guy.bourdeau@coulter.com

Gabe,

This is what I was able to find on the polane paint thing:

"POLANE" is a trade name for a series of coatings manufactured by Sherwin-Williams. The POLANE family of coating includes epoxies, polyurethanes, and others. A call to your local SW rep should provide all of the information you need.

As far as eating SLA's is concerned... let me put it to you this way:

We work with SLA's in our production of prototype tooling on a regular basis. And to the best of our knowledge, there isn't any type of solvent that we have been able to obtain that 'disolves' SLA material once a pattern is made and it has been cured. So, with that in mind, I don't think you have to worry about any particular kind of paint that is going to do any harm to a cured SLA model.

Hope this helps, and if someone out there in RP land knows of any kind of solvent that might disolve SLA material, please let me know. That information would be beneficial for the removal of SLA's from the completed prototype tooling. I have even tried Citric Acid, but to no avail.

-John

\=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=\ \ - Ralph S. Alberts Co. \ \ - rsalbert@microserve.net \ \ - http://www.microserve.net/~rsalberts \ \ - tel: 717-368-6653 \ \ - fax: 717-368-6353 \ \ - data: 717-368-6356 \ \=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=\

Gabe, Polane paint is a product of Sherwin Williams. You must use their primer though and make sure you have adequate ventilation when you paint the part. Polane is excellent paint, but be sure to wear a respirator. Regards, Ray Biery

Managing Partner Phone: 610-261-9010 ProtoCAM FAX: 610-261-9350 rbiery@protocam.com http://www.protocam.com

Gabe,

at Satellite Models, Inc. we use Polane fairly frequently, but have not used it on an SLA part. We typically use it on CNC machined ABS or Renshape, or cast Urethane. It makes for a nice, solid, durable finish, as long as you can deal with the fairly long cure time (over night to re-coat or texture, 24h before shipping, 7 days to full cure) . One thing we have learned is that you need to use a Polane primer to prepare the part. Polane paint does not like to stick otherwise (especially not to lacquer primer...)

The only bad experience we had with Polane was when we painted some Z-Corp RP parts, even with the Polane primer. The Z-Corp parts had been infiltrated with a resin like C.A. or epoxy, which (this is my theory) continued to off-gas during the paint's curing process, and left us with goose-bump-like micro bubbles all over the surface.

I don't think you'll have this problem with SLA parts, though.

Hope this helps,

Frank Stoeckel Project Manager Satellite Models, Inc. 950 Rengstorff Ave. #C Mountain View, CA 94043 650.903.3540 650.968.3723 (f) frank@satellitemodels.com

-- Gabe Clark gabe.clark@sdaa.com Rapid Prototype Manager (801)-328-8220 Solid Design & Analysis www.sdaa.com