Re: 2D to 3D conversion

From: Nathaniel J. Leon (connectcds@home.com)
Date: Mon Nov 02 1998 - 00:46:08 EET

Paul:

Because of the nature of the data in both 2-D files compared to 3-D
files automatic converison would not be possible. There is no way for
the computer to determine what lines are associated with what other
lines.

With that said. A good designer could use a 3-D program to import data
and then help the 3-D program to recreate the solid. I do this on a
regular basis when I have data from sources where the information is
only 2-D.

Sometimes it works very well. Other times it is a pain in the rear end.
A lot depends on the nature of part and how complicated it is.

After doing this a couple of times you realize how much information is
lost or needs to be assumed from 2-D engineering drawings.

Niel Leon - CDS,inc.