Re: Scanning a wing.

From: Steve_Farentinos (steve@pmli.com)
Date: Tue Nov 10 1998 - 19:53:08 EET

> Subject: Re: Scanning a wing.
> At 05:18 PM 11/9/98 -0500, you wrote:
> >Dear list,
Matt,

I would suggest using a Faro arm or similar equipment to do the digitizing. We
have scanned and built many similar parts here at our shop. Keep in mind that
your final CAD model is not a simple loft of the scanned data. You would be
wise to consult with someone who has developed these airfoil shapes before,
either by hand or computer. This could save you alot of time because they
could tell you what type of surfaces you're building and where the theroetical
surface edges should be. For example, the leading and trailing edges are
sometimes circular in cross section and are straight in profile from the top
and front views. This means that the wing edges are pieces of cones. If you
know this was the design intent, you'll get a vastly superior surface model by
fitting a cone to the digitized data, than you would by lofting a surface
thorugh a bunch of cross sections. There are many "tricks" like this you can
use to get a clean model. And it is very important to use them if your CAD
geometry will be used for anything important, like tooling or machining.

--
Steve Farentinos
PML, Inc.