Fwd:the new looks for Reverse Engineering...

From: Elaine Hunt (ehunt@ces.clemson.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 17 1998 - 15:22:05 EET

>but the things i will like to predict is that Reverse Engineering may be
>the master of Rapid Prototyping in the next couple of years.

Joesph,

About 10 years ago when CU acquired RP our goal was to make a custom
prosthetic device for every patient that required one in under 24 hours.
Quite a goal for custom product design and manufacturing. We realized that
the RP system we purchased would NOT be the one that eventually sat in a
surgical suite making the implantable devices. Also we realized very early
what we would need would be custom data for every patient and that data
would have to be easily obtained. Our first attempt (1991) at doing CT
made two hip models in 30 hours but processing the data was a tremendous
task. We stepped back and rethought our approach to data handling. Our CT
data then went straight to the SLA rather than into a STL file. Modeling
the human body was a challenge but as more and more technology is developed
to explore and probe its working, using RP becomes second nature. Our
stumbling block to move this technology forward was not the ability to do
it but in getting CT, MRI, equipment vendors to provide file formats.

Man will never be able to produce every product that is made naturally. In
this arena we will always be re-engineering and our products will be less
than a perfect fit. I firmly believe and stated many years ago that one
day soon we will grow prosthetic devices using forms made in a RP&M system
that allows our own genetic material to produce the bone, cartilage or
tissue needed to replace the damaged or diseased area. That may be as
close to human reverse engineering as we ever get other than cloning and
harvesting replacements from our twins.

Is cloning considered reverse engineering? or direct engineering?
Elaine
Opinions, suggestions, and other controversial matter VOID where prohibited.
Elaine T. Hunt, Director
Clemson University Laboratory to Advance Industrial Prototyping
206 Fluor Daniel Bldg. Clemson, SC 29643-0925
864-656-0321 (voice) 864-656-4435 (fax)
elaine.hunt@ces.clemson.edu
http://chip.eng.clemson.edu/rp/persall/elaine.html