RE: Fw: just a thought : the new looks for Reverse Engineering..

From: Brock Hinzmann (bhinzmann@sric.sri.com)
Date: Tue Nov 17 1998 - 20:28:08 EET

It seems to me your conversation has gone beyond the realm of RE into the
future of mass customization. When you are dealing with nature and real
life, the problem is not just RE of a shape or the negative of that shape
into a space, but a whole set of the dynamics of life. In the RE of a
heart, you have to not only fit a space, you have to place that object into a
highly aggressive environment, the human body, which sometimes even attacks
itself, let alone what it tries to do to other foreign objects and
materials. In the case of a shoe, it is technically easy to create a shoe that
fits an individual's foot perfectly, but that doesn't necessarily help
solve problems related to that individual's walking or running dynamic, which
includes subtle differences in heel strike, pronation, pushoff, and lack
of symmetry. The real trick will be the cost-effective automatic
translation of real life dynamics into an ergonomic, physical part and then to see
who really wants it in the marketplace.

Brock Hinzmann
Technology Navigator
SRI Consulting