Machine Depreciation

From: Ross Gates (selecteng@novagate.com)
Date: Wed Nov 18 1998 - 23:45:49 EET

A little over a week ago I asked the American RP machine owners what
they use for depreciation on their equipment. Well, not only did I get
reponses from a many American companies, but several foreign ones too. I
guess they have tax laws like ours.

I received responses back from companies who use 3, 5, 7, and 10 years
depreciation, with over 50% using 5 years.

I would have liked to give nice absolute numbers to these responses, but
even the 5 year depreciation people did it differently. Some use
straight line, others use different years for whether it is company
financials or taxes. One has a 10% scrap value added to the machine. And
then there were the engineers who could actually talk accounting! I
think the diversity of the responses are because no one really knows
what the "life" of an RP machine really is and there is not a lot of
history on the used value of these units.

Thanks for the response, they were a great help.

Ross Gates
Select Manufacturing Services Inc.
Muskegon, MI

Accountants are people who come in after the war is lost, and bayonet
the wounded.