SIGGRAPH99

From: Dr Anshuman Razdan (razdan@asu.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 19 1998 - 22:53:23 EET

Dear List,

        My name is Anshuman Razdan. I have been recently nominated to be the Chair
of a program/event (described below) at the SIGGRAPH99 conference
(http://www.siggraph.org/s99). For those who may not be familiar with
SIGGRAPH conference - It is the premier conference dealing with high end 2D,
3D computer graphics and related technologies. Its a an excellent venue
where both highly technical papers (tomorrows radiosity and ray tracing,
modeling and visualization, etc. alogorithms) and work of artists, film
makers etc. come together for a week. 1999 SIGGRAPH will be held in LA from
Aug 8-13. It is expected that about 40 to 50 thousand people will attend.

        Now to the event. An informal program called Guirrella Gallery has been a
fixture in the SIGGRAPHS of the past. The SIGGRAPH org cmt decided to make
it a full fledged official event starting this year with a formal budget and
all. The name has also been changed to THE STUDIO. The Studio (TS) will
offer a lab (about 100 workstations) to both scientists and artists and very
high end 2D and 3D printers. See the vision below. The major step this year
is to include 3D printers or RP machines (but not limited to RP- desk top
milling machines are also welcome and will be featured) into the seamless
realm of output technologies. Being in LA this would be a wonderful
opportunity to educate a large mass of people about 3D and 3D output
technologies. Creators (Scientists, engineers, artists) will be able to walk
in, create and make outputs (both 2D and 3D) and walk away after the
conference with these pieces.

        Now, here is what I am looking for:

1) Desktop RP, Milling companies/contacts willing to participate by donating
their hardware for the duration of the conference.
2) Software companies/contacts willing to provide temporary license and
media for the duration of the conference. These would include 3D CAD type of
software, Reverse Engineering, animation, 2D printing etc.
3) Other hardware such as optical/laser scanners, touch probe scanners etc.
during the conference.
4) Computer Workstation manufacturers etc. who might be interested in
putting their machines for real life use during the conference.
5) Any other innovative ideas that should be included in the studio.

All this is for The Studio specifically. Please contact me via email
razdan@asu.edu or phone (602) 965 5368 if you or your company are interested
in participating. I must warn that this will not be the alternative to
having a booth in the main exhibit hall since this will be a place for
creative work and no sales pitches will be allowed. YOu do get official
recognition - if you are interested we can start the formal dialogue. I dont
make the rules, SIGGRAPH and ACM do.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you all. I am definitely
interested in hearing your ideas. The formal announcement of the program
(the name was just decided) will be on the SIGGRAPH website soon.

The Vision:
-----------
Studio99 will be a bridge linking state of the art design and print
technologies with the creative communities at large, both arts and the
technical. Inclusion of 3D tactile printing or Rapid Fabrication
technologies will be a major step up from the past. Studio99 will
continue the tradiion of GG by providing access to equipment and outputs.
Hands on
creativity will be the goal. An Animation corner will also be featured.
Artists
will be encouraged to participate and contributre to the 3D
collage/gallery which will be part of the studio.

Dr. Anshuman Razdan
Technical Director PRISM
Email: razdan@asu.edu
Web: surdas.eas.asu.edu/~razdan