Re: triangle ordering in STL files

From: gautham@asu.edu
Date: Sun Nov 22 1998 - 21:29:56 EET

I dont think there is a need for the triangles to be ordered in the STL file.
According to my knowledge, the simplest slicing routine works with a slicing
plane that "steps through" the 3D part in increments (equal to teh slice
thk.), scans all the triangles looking for any intersections with it. All the
intersections are recorded for each slicing plane (at a particular z height),
and individual line segments from the intersections are later joined together
to form the contours of a layer.

        I am sure the SFF manufacturers use faster algorithms in their
processing software (probably use a topological data structure with
triangle-triangle adjacency info, in which case too there is no need for the
triangles to be ordered), but I am pretty sure the order of the triangles
doesnt matter.

gautham

 Gautham Kattethota Home : 950, South Terrace Road, #C349
 Grad. student, Tempe AZ 85281
 Dept. of MAE,Mail Code: 6106 Res Ph# : (602)967-4362
 Arizona State University, Off Ph# : (602)965-7830
 Tempe, AZ 85287 Email : gautham@asu.edu