QuickCast

From: Paul Hanna (phanna@CESSNA.TEXTRON.COM)
Date: Tue Dec 01 1998 - 20:15:56 EET

I am currently trying to produce a QuickCast pattern that has proven to be a challenge. As a result, I have a few questions I wanted to pose to the list. First a quick overview.

The geometry I am trying to produce is a thin walled (.060 in.) pattern. The walls are approximately 11.50 in. tall and are of a complex surface design. With the wall geometry being this thin it has proven to be a challenge to produce and drain. We have a SLA 5000 and are using SL5195 resin. I have been able to achieve a minimum wall thickness of .018 in. per side leaving .024 in. for draining but have had little success in draining the part. I have been working with the Stereolighography process for quite some time but have not had the opportunity to produce any QuickCast parts until now. I am working with the 3D Systems FSE's testing the boundaries of the QuickCast process. They have concurred that this is not an easy part to produce. What a way to begin. Understanding the QuickCast process such as I do regarding overcure issues, hatch type parameters, laser beam technology, etc. we are presented with a couple of questions.

1. What is the smallest geometry thickness anyone has produced with the QuickCast process?
2. Has anyone produced an actual casting from this thin of a pattern?
3. Is the best way to drain this part to use a centrifuge or is there something else?

Any help with these questions would be appreciated.
Thank you.