RE: Maestro fee

From: ralott@mail.hac.com
Date: Fri Dec 04 1998 - 00:46:32 EET

     First, no, this is not the machine sold by Hughes.

     Second, prior to announcing the sale, I called 3D Systems and was told
     by Mr. Randy Doyle that the Maestro software could be transferred to a
     new owner for a fee of $5,000 -- not $20,000. I was also told that
     the cost of a new Maestro package was $20,000. Perhaps this is the
     source of the confusion. I was also told that the Buildstation
     software did not require a license transfer fee.

     Despite having this knowledge, I never represented either the Maestro
     or the Buildstation software as being transferable, and specifically
     stated that the software did not include license. I did this because
     the transfer of the software licenses was outside the control of my
     company and I had no authority to represent 3D Systems.

     Aside from the above CYA statements, and back to the original
     question, parts can be prepared on the Buildstation software, but I
     don't believe you can generate supports with it.

     And, I understand an NT version of Maestro is on the horizon and have
     heard rumors that the UNIX versions will no longer be supported. If
     this is true, it may be better to forget about buying the UNIX Maestro
     license and wait for the NT version.

     Rick Lott
     Hughes Space and Communications
     Los Angeles

     Author: ij_george@hotmail.com at mime Date: 12/3/98 6:53 AM

     RE: SCat3D@aol.com on $20K charges for Maestro.

     While I'm sure the Maestro is not transferable, was the system you
     bought the Hughes machine? It was advertised with Maestro - maybe
     grounds for compliant and refund?

     Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com