Re: Fwd: FW: Future of RP

From: lblasch@opw-fc.com
Date: Fri Dec 04 1998 - 13:48:42 EET

     Eliane and List,

     I agree 100% with the unknown author except for his proposed
     solutions.

     On more than one ocassion I have been told that I am my own worst
     enemy. This is because I find ways to work around failures in the
     "push button" processes used to Rapid Prototype objects.

     Everyone who has actually worked with the software and hardware for RP
     knows that this has never been a Push Button or Turn-Key technology.

     In order to sell machines and or software, the RP manufactures promote
     their technology as mature and yet all the methods available require
     experienced people to set them up and to diagnose problems.

     So long as we work around the problems we encounter without forcing the
     manufactures to correct them, we will never have machines that allow the
     push button fabrication of objects that we seek.

     We as a society, we should hold all manufactures to only one standard: They
     must be required to truthfully advertize the capabilities and ease of use
     of the products and services that they offer.

     By our participation in a business environment where you can sell something
     and imply things that you cannot demonstrate to be true, we are our own
     worst enemy.

     I know, this problem exists in every other process too, it's not limited to
     RP, so as long as we accept this type of activity from any supplier, we
     doom oursewlves to working around the problems.

     Sincerely,

     Larry Blasch
     System Administrator for Engineering Services

     OPW Fueling Components Voice: (513) 870-3356
     P.O. Box 405003 Fax: (513) 870-3338
     Cincinnati, OH 45240-5003 USA
     Disclaimer...The views expressed are personal opinion and not those
     of OPW Fueling Components.