AW: New Rapid Tooling Products from EOS

From: Shellabear@EOS-GmbH.de
Date: Fri Dec 11 1998 - 11:54:07 EET

Ken,

My apologies for taking so long to respond, but I was at the Euromold show
all last week where we were introducing these new technologies.

Sand or bead blasting can certainly be used for quickly and easily smoothing
the surfaces of SL parts and I think that many users do this. However one
needs to be aware that the longer you blast, the more material you remove
and therefore the part accuracy is influenced.

The difference with our new method for direct metal laser-sintered parts is
that the surface is compacted or densified by the shot peening, rather than
removing material. The surface is lowered by a fixed amount depending on the
material and porosity and then does not change, even with continued shot
peening. Because the material and porosity are known factors, this constant
lowering of all surfaces can be accurately compensated. We build the parts
with added material on all external surfaces corresponding precisely to the
level of compaction by the shot peening, similar to adding a machining
tolerance. As a result we achieve not only good smoothing but also high
dimensional accuracy. I am not sure whether this principle could work with
SL resins.

Regards,

Mike